Meaning of Youth Empowerment
Youth empowerment can be defined as the process whereby young people gain the ability and authority to make informed decisions and implement change in their own lives and the lives of other people. it is a means of encouraging youths to do great things for themselves and also to make great impact in their society
Youth Empowerment involves the following:
- Helping youth identify, utilize and maximise their potentials.
- Helping the youth to develop confidence and self-identity
- Encouraging youth to grow together in accountability
- Imbibing in youth, the eagerness to create a change
Youth Empowerment skills
- Manipulative skills: It is the ability to manipulate a thing or an object with the help of the body or a body part. E.g. kicking, throwing, bouncing etc.
- Communicative skill: Communication is the process by which information is exchanged between individuals or a group. It is one’s ability to transfer ideas and information to others through with the possible appropriate meaning.
- Life coping skill: Life coping skills are those skills that we use to offset disadvantages in day to day life. It can be positive or negative. Positive life coping skills enable us to get through difficult situations while the negative life coping skills may bring about immediate satisfaction but futures consequences.
Types of Communication skill
- Listening skill: Listening skill is the active process of receiving and interpreting spoken messages or produced sounds.
- Expressive skill: This involves the use of words, sentences, gestures and writing to convey meaning and messages to others
- Managing the overall process: This is a third person skill that helps you determine what to work on and what sort of information to exchange.
- Intellectual skills: These are skills that that are critical, analytical, synthesizing problem-solving capacity. They can be acquired by learning, doing critical thinking and application of basic principles and having structured argument.
Youth Empowerment Organisations in Nigeria
Examples of Youth Empowerment Organisations in Nigeria are:
- Federal Government’s National Youth Empowerment Programme (YOU WIN)
- Civil Society Leadership Institute
- Nigeria Language Youth Empowerment Scheme (YES)
- Osun State Youth Empowerment Scheme (O-YES)
- The AFRICAN YOUTH EMPOWERMENT- NIGERIA (AYEN)
- National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)
All these organisations are committed to making the youths more responsible and self reliant through businesses and vocational skills development.
Benefits of Youth Empowerment
- It reduces the level of ignorance and crime among young people
- It serves as an opportunity for the youth to develop their skills and talents; thereby making them a better person
- It develops the potential of the youth
- It helps young people to be responsible
- It helps youth to be self reliant
- It helps the youth to invest into their future
If you found this site and its content useful and relevant to you, support and help us keep the site running so we can continue to give you solid educational updates. Click here to donate now thanks.