Drug trafficking, also referred to as illegal drug trade, is a global illicit trade involving the cultivation, manufacture, distribution and sale of substances which are subject to drug prohibition laws.
Illegal drugs include cocaine, heroin, PCP, LSD, methamphetamines and marijuana
Penalties for trafficking may vary, but in most places penalties are intended to be severe enough to discourage individuals from engaging in illegal drug trade.
While laws vary according to jurisdiction, individuals charged with drug possession usually face stiff penalties which include property forfeiture, hefty fines and imprisonment. In some countries, such as China, illegal drug trade may attract death penalty.
Popular Drug Names
Below are names of some popular drugs
- Gases, Glues and Aerosols (solvents)
- GHB (gamma hydroxybutyrate)
- Anabolic Steroids
- Poppers (alkyl nitrites)
- Speed (amphetamines)
Reasons for Drug Trafficking
- Poor upbringing
- Bad company
- High demand
Consequences of drug trafficking
Penalties for trafficking may vary, but in most places penalties are intended to be severe enough to discourage individuals from engaging in illegal drug trade. Below are some of the consequences.
- It is criminal and punishable under law
- A country that’s know for drug trafficking has bad reputation and other countries try to stay away
- It attracts death penalty in in some countries
- It will also lead to high rate of corruption in the society
- Drug traffickers are arrested and regarded as criminals
Ways of Preventing Drug Trafficking
- Job creation and employment of the youth
- Adequate enlightenment of the citizens about drug trafficking and its consequences
- Appropriate sanctioning for drug traffickers
- Authorities such as The police, immigration department and the national drug law enforcement agency must be well equipped to tackle and fight against drug trafficking
- Poverty eradication measures must be properly implemented
If you found this site and its content useful and relevant to you, support and help us keep the site running so we can continue to give you solid educational updates. Click here to donate now thanks.