Social change refers to any significant alteration over time in behavior patterns and cultural values and norms of a society.
Characteristics of Social Change
- Social change is social
- It is universal
- It is continuous
- It is inevitable
- It is temporal
- Social change can’t be predicted
- Social Change is caused by many factors
- Social Change may be planned or unplanned
FACTORS OF SOCIAL CHANGE
- Culture – There are three major ways that culture produces social change.
- Invention – this produces new ideas, objects, and social patterns. The invention of the personal computer is a good example.
- Discovery – this occurs when people take note of existing elements of the world and create new social patterns.
- Diffusion – this occurs as these products, ideas and social patterns spread across societies.
2. Physical environment: this includes the rivers, lakes, the climate, the weather etc. all of these determine the changes that occur in our society.
3. Population changes: Population is the total number of people living in a place at a particular time. The people living in a place determine the changes that will occur in their society.
4. Technological factor: this includes availability of infrastructures, access to good roads, good communication system etc.
5. Attitude and values: Our attitude and values also affect our society due to the things we put in high esteem, the way we relate and behave affects the changes that will occur in our society
AGENTS OF SOCIAL CHANGE
- The family
- Political Leaders
The parents and other family members function to instill good morals and values in the children, teaching them good characters and helping them to develop their skills.
Teachers, as much as the family, play important role in bringing about positive changes in the lives of children.
THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS
The religious leaders are to help people differentiate between good and evil, and to help members become good citizens of the society.
THE POLITICAL LEADERS
Political leaders who perform their duties of providing all the basic necessities will bring about positive change in the society. Also, leaders who show good example by not embezzling the public funds will be of great help in the society