Literature in English is the study of literature written in the English language.
Literature can be defined as written works, including non-written verbal arts that are considered to be very good and to have lasting importance. Examples of literature include: poems, plays, and novels.
Literature is also defined as any printed and unprinted material that instructs, informs, educates and entertains people.
A Litterateu is a person that’s interested in and knowledgeable about literature.
A Literatus is used to refer to someone who is an authority in the field of literature.
Types of literature
The two types of literature are:
- Written Literature – Written literature includes poetry and novels, with subsections for fiction, prose, myth, short story and novel
- Oral Literature – Oral literature includes ballads, folklore, jokes and fables that are passed down by word of mouth.
Genres of Literature
There are 10 genres of Literature:
- Realistic fiction.
- Romance novel.
- Comedy – Comedy comprises professional entertainment consisting of jokes and satirical sketches, intended to make an audience laugh.
- Drama – Drama includes plays for theater, radio, or television.
- Non-fiction – Writing that is based on facts, real events, and real people, such as biography or history.
- Realistic fiction – Realistic fiction is a genre consisting of stories that could have actually occurred to people or animals in a believable setting.
- Romance novel – This primarily focuses on the relationship and romantic love between two people, and usually have an emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending.
- Satire – Satire is the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticise people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
- Tragedy – A play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character.
- Tragicomedy – A play or novel containing elements of both comedy and tragedy
- Prose – Prose is a form of language that exhibits a grammatical structure and a natural flow of speech rather than a rhythmic structure (as in traditional poetry)
- Poetry – Poetry involves literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature.
Literature in English