DEFINITIONS OF CHEMISTRY
BRANCHES OF CHEMISTRY
USES OF CHEMISTRY
CAREERS IN CHEMISTRY
Definitions of Chemistry.
Chemistry is a branch of science that deals with the composition, properties and the uses of matter.
Chemistry is primarily concerned with the substances of which matter is composed, the investigation of their properties and reactions, and the use of such reactions to form new substances.
Chemistry probes into the principles governing the changes that matter undergoes. Our environment is made up of matter; chemistry therefore deals with the study of our environment and explaining things that are happening in the environment.
BRANCHES OF CHEMISTRY
Chemistry is basically divided into FIVE parts. They are:
- Physical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Physical Chemistry: This deals with the study of energy changes accompanying transformation of matter.
- Analytical chemistry is the study of the separation, identification, and quantification of the chemical components of natural and artificial materials.
- Biochemistry, sometimes called biological chemistry, is the study of chemical processes within and relating to living organisms. By controlling information flow through biochemical signaling and the flow of chemical energy through metabolism,biochemical processes give rise to the complexity of life.
- Organic Chemistry: This deals with the study of matter found in living things both plants and animals.
- Inorganic Chemistry: This deals with the study of matter in our environment which are non-living.
Careers in Chemistry
There are many careers in Chemistry. The public and private sectors of the economy which offer such opportunities are:
Ø Teaching Service
Ø Health Service
Ø Food Processing
Ø Petroleum and Petrochemical industries
Ø Manufacturing Industries
Ø Agriculture and Forestry
Uses of Chemistry
Chemistry has contributed greatly towards providing our basic needs and improving the quality of our life.
- Food: Fertilizers and insecticides have helped to increase food production greatly. It has also helped in the preservation and storage of food for long periods.
- Clothing: A wide range of clothing materials are made available because of the man-made fibres produced as a result of intensive research.
- Military and Space Science: Chemistry contributes to the discovery of chemical substances such as explosives used by the military. It has also helped in an effort to gain more knowledge of the other planets and outer space around us.
- Housing: The mechanical properties of building materials such as cement, concrete, steel, bricks and tiles are a result of chemical research.
- Medicine: The healthy life that many of us enjoy is due to the variety of medicines that are available as a result of chemical research and technology.
- Transportation: This rapid development in transportation, from carts pulled by animals to the latest aircraft was made possible by chemists producing suitable fuels and structural materials.